The Brahmananda Library, named after the first President of Ramakrishna order, was one of the first activities of the newly-constructed Vivekananda Cultural Centre. From a humble beginning with a Reading Room and a Library having a meager collection of books, in its old dilapidated building, this is the first computerized public library in Shillong and  now has about 11,000 books, 6 dailies and 25 monthly periodicals. There are about 600 members at present. 
In addition to the usual library services, additional facilities such as digital copying, laser printing, colour scanning, CD browsing and computer practicing are available to library members at special confessional rates.

The Library is open on all days except Sundays other notified Holidays.

Opening Hours
Reading Room : 8.00 a.m.-6.00 p.m.
Lending Facility: 1.00 p.m.-6.00 p.m.

 

The Library was opened in the year 1940 at the Ashrama premises in a small way with two almirah of books. It grew over the years with the collection increasing and shaping into a full-fledged library.

Presently, the Library and Reading Room has 13,507 books, which include text books for College and school students, 9 daily news papers and 28 periodicals. Special attention is also given to serving scheduled tribe and scheduled caste members.